From San Bernardino Sun
August 31, 2017
SAN BERNARDINO >> San Bernardino County Public Health officials announced Thursday the first West Nile Virus death of the 2017 season.
The victim was described as an elderly western San Bernardino County male resident with serious health problems.
So far, there have been eight confirmed cases in San Bernardino County this year, up from six for the entire 2016 season. Two county residents died last year from the virus which is transmitted by mosquitoes, the county health department said, in a statement.
The San Bernardino County death was the third in California this season.
As of an August 25 update, the California Department of Public Health website reports 59 cases statewide, including 27 in Los Angeles County.
“The family has my sincerest condolences with the loss of their family member,” said San Bernardino County Health Officer Dr. Maxwell Ohikhuare. “West Nile Virus can cause a deadly infection in humans, and I urge residents to take precautions and protect themselves against mosquito bites.”