From Bakersfield Now
June 23, 2021
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — Kern Mosquito and Vector Control District hosted an information event in recognition of National Mosquito Control Awareness Week.
They provided methods on how residents can reduce mosquitoes in and around homes and businesses.
Reduce Mosquito Breeding Sources Around Your Home:
- Maintain swimming pools (prevent the water from turning green)
- Stock ponds and water troughs with mosquito fish. Contact Kern Mosquito & Vector Control.
- Remove standing water from all items around your home: flower pots, fountains, bird baths, wading pools, pet bowls, gardening tools and toys.
- Clean/Scrub all containers that collect water weekly to remove remaining eggs.
- Last year, Kern residents were faced with a new breed of mosquito, the Aedes aegypti, which is considered to be an especially aggressive breed as it can bite a person several times while it is feeding.
Kern Vector Control received almost 4,000 calls from residents requesting services because of mosquitoes in or near their homes and the bites they were receiving.